The Benefits of Drinking Water
As the summer heat kicks up another notch, it is more important than ever to stay hydrated by drinking plenty of water. Drinking water helps to prevent dehydration which can cause many adverse effects on your health such as mood changes, unclear thinking, constipation and kidney stones. Staying hydrated also prevents you from overeating, helps you feel fuller and prevents overheating by keeping your body at a normal temperature. As you head into the rest of the year, take advantage of the benefits of drinking water to stay hydrated and happy.
How much water should you drink a day?
The amount of water necessary for proper hydration varies from person to person. Variables such as age, gender, activity level and more can impact exactly how much any one person needs. Those who are more physically active, have a fever or live in hot climates will need to consume more water to stay hydrated. On average, it is recommended that most people drink eight, 8-ounce glasses of water each day. If you were to convert this to the average 16.9-ounce bottled water, you would need to drink about three to four per day.
How to drink more water
Experts recommend sipping water throughout the day to stay healthy and hydrated. You can also get water from other sources, such as high-water content fruits and vegetables like watermelon and cucumbers.
Some days it’s tougher to meet your hydration goals. You might not be craving water or you may just get caught up in your daily activities and forget about it. However, the benefits of drinking water and staying hydrated are essential so it’s important to incorporate healthy hydration habits. Here are some tips for working water into your daily routine:
- Make it a habit. Place a refillable water bottle with hourly markings on your desk at work as a reminder to drink water throughout the day.
- Make good choices. Choose water over sugary drinks or sodas every time.
- Save money. When dining out, order water instead of other restaurant beverages so you’re saving money in addition to drinking a healthier option.
- Serve water with meals. This is a great way to keep the whole family hydrated. If a family member struggles with enjoying the taste of water, try adding lemon, lime, strawberries or watermelon for a different flavor.
- Remember your water bottle. And if you forget, stop by your local healthy vending machine and pick up a fresh bottle of water to enjoy.
Best bottled water to drink
Another great way to drink more water is to find the type of bottled water that you enjoy most. The best bottled water depends on your health needs and taste preferences. Find one you like so you’re more likely to drink it.
Bottled water comes from different locations so characteristics—and thereby flavor—may vary from brand to brand. To find the healthiest types of bottled water, check mineral content, water purity and electrolytes. Brands like Evian, Path Water, Smart Water and Fiji are all brands with a high mineral content that are beneficial for consumers.
Healthy YOU Vending can help you stay happy and hydrated. Click here to learn more about getting a Healthy YOU Vending machine at your workplace.