Winter Superfoods You Should Be Eating
As the cold winter months descend throughout much of the country, it’s important to nourish the body with winter superfoods that are rich in nutrients and disease-fighting phytochemicals. Winter superfoods are immune-boosting, nutritional powerhouse foods full of vitamins, minerals, fiber and more. While we should strive year round to eat a healthy diet rich in fruits, vegetables, whole grains, beans, nuts, seeds, and lean protein, winter is a great time of year to incorporate nutrient-dense superfoods.
Whether you’re stocking your HealthyYOU Vending machines with winter superfoods, or looking for winter superfoods in your local healthy vending machine, here are our top go-to winter superfoods as convenient, portable, healthy snacks:
NUTS & SEEDS
Nuts and seeds are just about the easiest snacks to finds in healthy vending machines. While we may not typically think of nuts as “seasonal,” walnuts and almonds are considered winter superfoods, according to diet and nutrition expert David Katz, MD, MPH. Walnuts are a rich source of plant-derived omega-3 fatty acids, magnesium, and antioxidants. Almonds and cashews are packed with immune-boosting zinc, plus magnesium, calcium and Vitamin E.
Also look for healthy vending snacks containing chia seeds, which are rich in omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids, and contain more anti-oxidants than blueberries. Pumpkin seeds are packed with protein, magnesium, potassium, and zinc.
- Justin’s Almond Butter individual serving packets make it easy to pack a satisfying, nutritional punch.
- Eden Foods Wild Berry with a delicious mix of nuts, seeds and berries
- Eden Foods Pumpkin Seeds
- Garden of Eatin’ Chia Seed Corn Tortilla Chips
Cranberries contain high levels of antioxidant Vitamin C, plus flavonoids, both of which help to strengthen the immune system. Dried cranberries can be added to nuts and seeds for a healthy, immune-boosting trail mix. Apples are synonymous with fall and winter’s crisp weather, and a powerful source of antioxidants and Vitamin C. Dip apple chips in almond butter for a satiating snack!
- Ocean-spray Craisins meets 25% of daily recommended fruit intake with just one serving.
- Funky Monkey Apple with Cinnamon is 100% real fruit, no sugar added, with a hint of warming, anti-inflammatory cinnamon.
Sweet potatoes, beets, and other root vegetables are super nutritious winter superfoods. Root vegetables grow underground, where they absorb a lot of minerals. Full of nutrients such as fiber and potassium, beet chips have a sweet, earthy flavor that can satisfy both a sweet tooth and a starchy craving. And let’s not forget kale, which is a nutritional powerhouse packed with immune-boosting vitamin C, beta-carotene, and quercetin.
- Terra Chips pack a complete nutritional punch, combining beets, sweet potatoes and other root vegetables.
- Rhythm Superfoods Kale Chips are air-crisped to maintain their natural enzymes and nutritional value.
What superfoods do you stock in your healthy vending machine in winter? View more of our healthy vending machine snacks here.